Saturday, August 27, 2016

Number of new vegan fall teas leaf - I mean 'leave' - something to be desired

By Giselle Wedemire

From the heightened appreciation for a good squash soup to the open invitation to start dressing in layers and boots until I start to resemble Rhian from My So Called Life, fall is definitely my favourite time of year. And with fall comes an increased need for a hot cup of tea. 


Pretty much the perfect autumn view


One of my favourite things to do on an autumn weekend morning is waking up before Mr. Picky Bitch, going into my little reading nook, and cozying up with a book and a hot cup of tea.

This makes the release of the new fall-themed teas at DavidsTea a very exciting time of year for me. I mean, it's got autumn-inspired teas and cute mugs involved, so how can I not love it? Look at how cute the new fall mugs are; the vintage camper and fox mugs? Get out of town! They're so darn cute I cute pinch them (but that might not work, since they're made of ceramic).

What's not so great is that out of the five new autumnal teas that have just been released, only two are vegan which, when you think about the percentage of the general population that's vegan, makes sense. But when you consider that we're talking about  tea  something that many people are particular about how they take it, whether that be black, or with any combination of milk, sugar, or other additives it starts to seem a bit bizarre.  

According to DavidsTea's website, three of these teas are not vegan-friendly because they each contain some form of dairy. The perennially revived Pumpkin Chai tea contains pieces of caramel (which contains both milk and butter), the fruity Blueberry Muffin brew lists yogurt as one of its top ingredients, and the dessert-flavoured Carrot Cupcake blend is infused with "natural whipped cream". 

Some things in life are beyond my comprehension, and incorporating dairy and sugar straight into tea blends is one of them. But I digress...

As for the new fall teas that are vegan-friendly, we've got our pick of the following:



However, it does seem as though us in the plant-based crowd can still indulge in some warming retail therapy via the Road Trip Teas gift set. Other than that, I guess us vegans are gonna have to stay warm with the help of sweaters, kitty cuddles, scarves, and other vegan-friendly teas. And maybe some dreamy, fall-appropriate music.

Personally, I'm partial to the ethereal pop songs from Daughter and Lucy Rose. Legit, give them a listen; it's like the sonic equivalent of snuggling up on your porch on a fall morning in an oversized sweater with a warm mug in your hand.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really wonderful. I do think spaghetti squash is a great option for enjoying traditional noodle dishes on a grain-free diet. Thanks for posting this on Food Flicks Friday. Access the Dark Web Deep Web stories Deep Web Reddit Links Deep Web Browsers

    ReplyDelete