Sunday, March 2, 2014

One of the easiest crowd-pleasing desserts ever

By Giselle Wedemire

For family gatherings, I'm usually in charge of making and bringing along dessert. This is often easier said than done considering my family is comprised of two omnivores, one celiac, and three vegans (one of whom is trying to go soy- and gluten-free). Keeping this demographic in mind, the number of fun, tasty, and wallet-friendly desserts I can make dwindles.

Recently, though, I stumbled across a lifesaver of a cake recipe while browsing Finding Vegan, the drool-inducing online recipe gallery. And with popcorn as this easy recipe's main ingredient, you may be a bit dubious, but keep an open mind here. 
Popcorn's not just for the movies anymore! A popcorn-based cake has opened my eyes to its potential for making tasty desserts even more delicious. 

Enter peanut butter popcorn cake.

That's right, popcorn cake -- a gluten-free, soy-free, vegan wonder of the world. I've heard it described as similar in contrasting flavours to both a Dairy Queen Buster Bar and a Snickers chocolate bar --- and my dad (who is hardcore against vegan food) gets as excited as a schoolgirl whenever I bring this over. That should give you an idea of how tasty this stuff is. 

This recipe takes almost no time to come together, and for my own version, I make a few adjustments to the online recipe: I omit the pretzels entirely, and substitute brown rice syrup for the required light corn syrup (because corn syrup sketches me out).

These subtle tweaks to the original recipe don't affect the cake's flavour one bit. Both times I've taken this around for family dinners, I've gotten rave reviews on the cake and absolutely no chance of ever getting any leftovers to take home. It's just too delicious to save any for another day!
The end result (and the last remaining piece) of peanut butter cake, a dessert so good I never get to bring any leftovers home from family gatherings.

Considering its higher sugar content, popcorn cake's probably not the lowest calorie item you'll ever make. But it's dessert, so that's probably a given anyway, right?

Treat yourself and try this recipe out and let me know what you think by commenting below or by tweeting me at @PickyBitchez.

No comments:

Post a Comment