Friday, March 21, 2014

Bitchez on the loose: We were on seven(teen)th Heaven

By Giselle Wedemire and Casey Knoll

After a long time apart, we decided it was time to reconvene for a much-needed Picky Bitchez lunch date. We had seen the signs and had heard the buzz surrounding 17 Avenue's relatively new gluten-free establishment Heaven Artisan GF Cuisine, so naturally we stopped in for an afternoon of tasting, savouring, and gossiping.

Located at 119  1013 17 Ave. SW, Heaven is a cozy and fully-licensed Celiac mecca offering comfort food staples such as mac and cheese and lasagna, and international dishes with a focus on Venezuelan cuisine. The best part? Everything on the menu is 100 per cent gluten-free (and a good portion of the menu is vegan)!

Here's what we both have to say about our experiences at Heaven:

Giselle
The interior of Heaven is much more welcoming than its exterior. From the outside, it looks as generic and easy to pass up as a supermarket birthday cake. On the inside, though, the lime green and lemon yellow walls work together to create an almost tangible harmony within the restaurant. The Spanish guitar floating from the speaker system also helped add to this sense of harmony, and it lent a laid-back ambience that nicely complemented Heaven's Spanish and Venezuelan fare.

After much deliberation, I ordered the vegan arepa. Impressively, there were three vegan options for the arepas, so with even more deliberation and internal monologue, I settled on the avocado, black beans, and lettuce arepa. 

The arepa itself -- which is a corn-based flatbread -- was reminiscent of the bammies I had eaten in my childhood. It was chewy but soft, and slightly salty. Filled to the brim with avocado, lettuce, and mashed black beans, it was delicious and messy. Although I felt it could've used a bit of hot sauce. (But then again, I think pretty much everything needs hot sauce.)

A side of butternut squash soup came with my meal and one spoonful told me that it was definitely made from scratch. It was full of a pure, creamy, unadulterated sweet squash taste, though no spices were evident. Had I not seen the flecks on nutmeg and ginger in my bowl, I wouldn't guess any seasonings had been added to it.

The meal was filling, but I wish there were more vegan options on the menu as the arepas were one of the few items that had caught my eye when ordering (despite how long it took me to decide on my final order). However, I did like Heaven's atmosphere and I loved that they offered many of the gluten-free beers I reviewed last year.

My rating: 3 stars

Casey
As Giselle mentioned, our Picky Bitchez lunch date was a long time coming! With both of our busy schedules, it was hard to find a time to meet. So I was excited to not only get together with my fellow Picky Bitch, but to finally check out Heaven.

First of all, I loved how I didn't have to worry about anything. Everything was gluten free. I had free range over the menu! Also, I found the staff and restaurant itself (ambience, colors) to be inviting. 

After a wide-eyed search of the menu, I settled on a gluten-free salmon panini -- largely because I hadn't had a sandwich-esque meal in a while. I enjoyed the bread, especially since it was from Care Bakery -- and the owner is a SAIT alumna! I love it when local businesses are supported. 

I thought the panini was tasty, but was surprised when it came out cold -- I thought it was going to be hot. However, I thought the sauce and cheeses used added nice flavour.

I enjoyed my lunch at Heaven restaurant. It's a great place to go for peace of mind, in terms of eating vegan and gluten-free.

My rating: 3.5

What do you think of Heaven? Let us know by commenting below or tweeting us at @PickyBitchez.

No comments:

Post a Comment