Monday, December 14, 2015

Cruelty-free curls that are smooth like BuhTah

By Giselle Wedemire

About two years ago, I made the decision to go au naturale with my hair. It took a few stops and starts -- and a whole lot of soul-searching and self-acceptance -- to completely kick my flat iron habit to the curb and embrace my naturally curly hair.

But I can now say with complete confidence that I regret nothing and I am 100 per cent in love with the curls I once fought so hard to hide from the world.

On my natural hair journey, I've learned that my curl pattern is 3b, which means I have defined ringlets that are prone to frizz if left to dry without any product in them. It also means that if humidity gets anywhere near my hair, it turns into a fantastic ball of fluff. So, naturally, anti-humectants are my best friends because they help to block humidity's brutal effects from ratcheting up my hair. 

I've been looking high and low for a great all-natural, vegan, and cruelty-free miracle product that'll allow my hair to dry faster, and transform it into well-defined, healthy-looking, frizz-free spirals. After all this time, I think I've finally found that product.

BuhTah All Natural Shea Mix is a miracle-working product created by an independent startup company based in Georgia, USA. Made of all-natural shea butter, and jojoba, coconut, castor, and avocado oils, Buhtah is a sealant rather than a moisturizer -- which means it'll keep any and all frizz at bay. In short, it's a curly girl's dream come true.


How cute is that packaging, though? Love it!




The product itself has a lightly nutty scent, thanks to the shea butter. However, there's an option to customize your shea mix by adding essential oils or fragrances for those who aren't partial to the smell of shea. BuhTah's website claims that the shea mix is ideal for both hair and skin. I've only ever tried it on my hair, and have been testing it out on my curls for the last five months, so I can only attest to my thoughts on BuhTah as a hair product.

What I thought
My experience with BuhTah has taught me that there are certain rules you need to play by to get the most out of the product. For me, the first rule of BuhTah is to lightly dab damp hair with an old cotton T-shirt.

The second rule of BuhTah is to immediately comb leave-in conditioner through damp hair. 

And the third rule of BuhTah (this getting to be like Fight Club, no?) is to scoop out a teeny tiny amount of product (maybe the size of a quarter? Maybe the size of a loonie if you have a lot of hair?) and warm up the mix between your two palms until it's liquid and malleable. Scrunch the warmed shea mix into your damp hair and let air-dry. Voila, now you've got hella fly curls! 


Be warned: Correct application of BuhTah might result in amazing
hair days and an uncontrollable urge to duckface in subsequent selfies.


Warning: Do not let your hair dry before your complete these three steps! It will not be the same and your hair may feel sticky if you mess up!

For my hair type, I find that Buhtah gives me great curl definition for about three days. The first day is always amazing, and the subsequent two days are lovely, but they look a little more 'lived in', so to speak. On those days, I usually have to spritz a bit of water on the front sections of my hair to tame minor frizzies and regain some first-day definition. 

That being said, this stuff fights frizz better than other products I've tried and it seems to seal in moisture, which is something I really missed one rainy day when I didn't use it and defaulted to my regular, pre-Buhtah routine. After walking under an umbrella for twenty minutes in a rainstorm to get to a double date, I found that my hair looked like a wild animal's nest, and my hair only grew more unruly the longer the night went on.


If you're interested in trying out BuhTah for yourself, you can score a 2 oz. trial-sixed container here, or take the plunge and invest in any of the 8 oz. tubs with the cute packaging here.

Have you tried BuhTah All Natural Shea Mix? Do you have a Holy Grail product for natural curls? Let me know by commenting below, or by tweeting at @PickyBitchez.

No comments:

Post a Comment