Friday, June 19, 2015

All-natural headache relief that works

By Giselle Wedemire

HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead! HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead! HEADON, APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!

If you don't know that inane infomercial from 2006 or 2007, how is it living under a rock for so long? Is it chilly? Cramped? How's the wi-fi there? If it's pretty good, I suggest giving the infomercial a quick watch:



When my youngest brother was a toddler, he was obsessed with that commercial, and would recite the ad's cheesy script verbatim even when we were miles from a functioning TV. So I guess you could say that that ad has been ingrained in my brain for a while.




I'm not sure if it's the power of the incessant, repetitive commercial or if the product really did seem genuinely intriguing, but my mom became obsessed with the relief she received from her many sticks of HeadOn. Troubled by the chinooks we get here in Calgary, her headaches would start slowly and bloom into misery. But with HeadOn, her troubles were over. 

When we bought our first tube of HeadOn, my mom, my younger brother and I all took turns just rubbing the mentholated balm onto our foreheads while ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the cooling sensation it left in its wake. That stuff worked. That is, until stores in our area stopped stocking it and we were left high and dry.

Then, we were left to nag any and all acquaintances who were heading to the States with our weird requests of, "I don't need a T-shirt. Just a stick of HeadOn will do!" 

My mom even asked me to pick up five tubes of HeadOn as her only souvenir when I vacationed in Florida (for the sole purpose of visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, no big deal). Alas, no one in any of the Walgreens stores I visited in Orlando knew what I was talking about, so my family has had to live life without this miracle product.

Until now. 


Behold: Escents Aromatherapy's all-natural headache remedy, Head Aid.

Since going natural with all my personal products, I've been looking out for natural remedies to replace common items I've since discarded from my beauty routine. And once I found out about Escents Aromatherapy's Head Aid -- an all-natural rollerball packed with headache-fighting essential oils like peppermint, blue chamomile, and lavender -- I jumped at the chance to try it out.*

What I thought
I don't get headaches very often, so testing this product out was a very long and drawn-out process (hence the little hiatus we've had over here at Picky Bitchez). However, on the few occasions that I have had a slight headache since receiving this rollerball in January, I can tell you that this stuff works. I've noticed that it's helped enormously in easing the pain and pressure in my head whenever a headache happens to pop up, and I like that I don't have to worry that what I'm rubbing on or around my head contains questionably harmful additives, animal ingredients, or has been tested on poor, unsuspecting bunnies.

The trick with Head Aid is to roll it onto your temples, forehead, and neck gently and sparingly so as not to dispense too much product at once. The peppermint oil is fantastic at relieving tension and headaches, but it can get overpowering pretty quickly, which is not great when you're applying it near/on your temples. A little goes a long way, and a lot of this stuff will make you blink and tear up so much you'd think you had walked into an onion chopping contest.

 (Both my mom and Mr. Picky Bitch made this mistake when trying it out and they felt their eyes water as they blinked their way through a fog of eucalyptus fumes.)

I find that Head Aid works best on its own at the onset of a headache; if I wait too long to get my hands on my rollerball, the aromatherapy's effectiveness dwindles and only provides temporary relief unless I combine it with some ibuprofen.

Bonus: HeadAid is also a really rad addition to my home yoga practice. If I'm feeling particularly stressed out or scatter-brained before stepping onto my mat, I roll this stuff onto my pulse points (wrists, temples, behind my ears) and in minutes, I find my vinyasa takes on a more transfomative quality, and I feel much more zen and blissed out than when I normally do a stress-busting yoga sesh sans aromatherapy.

All in all, this product is great. It works, and it seems like it will last me forever (which, for $22.95 is a really awesome investment). Plus, it's completely vegan and cruelty-free! For that, I give it the Picky Bitchez seal of approval.


Have you tried Escents Aromatherapy's Head Aid, or any other natural headache remedies? Let me know in the comments section below!

*Escents Aromatherapy's Head Aid was sent to me to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment