Monday, July 14, 2014

Three girls, three hair oils

By Giselle Wedemire

Though it kind of took its sweet time getting here, summer is finally in full swing here in Calgary. And while the summer sun is great for adding a golden glow to our otherwise pale post-Canadian-winter complexions, it can also wreak havoc on our hair. That's where hair oils come in to save the day.

In general, hair oils help to restore moisture that may otherwise have been lost by a host of everyday occurrences like shampooing, brushing and combing, heat styling, and other environmental factors like dry weather and pollution.

Live Clean's three hair oils (seen below) work to replenish hair and transform it from the inside out while instantly providing smoother results.


Live Clean's hair oils from left to right: Exotic Vitality Monoi Oil Leave-in Treatment, Age Resist Miracle Nutrition Oil, and Exotic Silk Keratin Oil Leave-in Treatment


Since everyone's hair reacts to products differently, I thought it'd be fun to play Goldilocks and the Three Bears with these products and test them out on three heads of hair to see which of the Live Clean hair oils were too oily, which one was too drying, and, as the baby bear famously said, which one was 'just right.' Rounding out the cast of the three bears...er...I mean three hairs are yours truly, my sister Kim, and my brother's girlfriend Ellen. 


Meet the cast of the Picky Bitchez rendition of Goldilocks and the Three Bears (from left to right): Ellen, Kim, and moi.

As you can see, we each have different hair textures ranging from wavy to very curly. Despite our differences in hair types, we each tested out all of Live Clean's hair oils* for three weeks in June. Here's what we think of each product:



LC Exotic Vitality Monoi Oil Leave-in treatment

Infused with Monoi oil (a blend of coconut oil and Tahitian Tiare flower), jojoba oil and bamboo extract, this hair oil fights frizz and strengthens hair against future damage. It's a frizz-fighting wonder that's perfect for both thin hair and dry, brittle strands.

Giselle: I loved this product -- I've been using the entire Exotic Vitality line on and off for about two months now and I've definitely seen (and felt) a difference in my hair. Using this product, my curls become softer to the touch and they look more defined. Like the Exotic Vitality range, this treatment smells like candy, so lately my head has been smelling like Starbursts, which has been pretty cool.

Ellen: This was good, but it had a tendency of making my hair too greasy too quickly. I found that two to three little drops applied to damp hair before styling it with heat was all that I really needed.

Kim: This made my hair excessively oily. Other than that, it barely did anything else for me. I would not spend money on it.


LC Age Resist miracle nutrition oil

The only pre-wash treatment in the trio, the Age Resist Miracle Nutrition Oil acts as a pre-shampoo mask by infusing stressed out hair with hydrolyzed wheat protein and jojoba, rosehip, and avocado oils. Originally two-toned and separated, this product needs to be shaken to be activated, and then is applied to dry hair for five to 10 minutes before being shampooed and conditioned as usual.

G: As I said in my review of the Age Resist collection, this product is a bit of a letdown for me. Both times I've tried product it has left my hair feeling tacky and slightly stiff, which is 100 per cent the opposite of what I want it to feel like. I've read, though, that that's a common side effect of using too much protein on my hair type, so I guess that really isn't this product's fault.

E: This stuff was wondrous! My hair gets really frizzy when I blow dry it and this kept my hair from really frizzing out when styling it. It was awesome and it really made a difference.

K: This worked well, but not as well as the Keratin oil (below). It made my hair feel softer, but only for a short amount of time (like 1-2 days).



LC Exotic Silk Keratin Oil Leave-in treatment
Fortified with macadamia nut oil, buriti oil (from the South American buriti palm trees), plant-sourced Phyto-keratin, and wild flower honey,** this hair oil smooths and repairs hair while effectively fighting frizz and preventing heat damage from blow dryers and flat irons. 

G: This treatment smells amazing and it is by far my favourite hair oil of the trio. I found that applying a bit of this to my damp hair after I've applied a quarter-sized dollop of the LC Age Resist multi 10-in-1 treatment really helped to define my natural curls while keeping frizzies at bay all day long. 

E: Just like with the monoi oil treatment, this stuff was good but it made my hair greasy quickly. Two to three little drops on damp hair was more than enough for me.

K: This was one of my favourites, as it made my hair feel very soft (for 4-5 days) but not super oily. I also liked how it decreased my frizz.


So there you have it --  the three of us had differing experiences with these hair oils, and we  each had our own favourite hair oil that was 'just right' for us. If you're interested in trying any of these products, they retail for $11.99 at stores like Shoppers Drug Mart and Wal-Mart. 

Have you tried any of these hair oils? Which one was 'just right' for you? Let us know by commenting on this post or by tweeting us at @PickyBitchez.

*Live Clean hair oils were sent to me to review
**This product contains honey, which may conflict with certain vegans' ethics. Depending on your views on veganism as it pertains to honey, this item may not be a good fit for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment